Sep 26, 2007

Bitter Sweet

You can ask anyone...Ashland is a very strange place. But there is a unique quality about it that draws you in. I strolled downtown Ashland today with coconut ice cream in hand. I enjoyed the sun on my face as my ice cream dripped down the side of my cone. Meandering my way through Lithia park I smiled at everyone I passed by. Of course most of them ignored me, but some smiled back and that seemed to satiate my need for human contact.

It's always kind of bitter sweet doing things alone. On the one hand I love spending time alone and just savouring the moment. On the other, I always end up seeing something funny or really special that makes me want someone to share it with. Yet, I always come back to the conclusion that being alone is crucial. Solitude forces us to be content with ourselves and our relationship with God. It also opens our eyes to things, people and nature that I don't think we'd see when accompanied by another. Some of the greatest and most important conversations I've had have been with total strangers that God placed on my path when I was alone. Often the greatest sunsets, rainbows, or stormy clouds were noticed when I was alone.

Like I said...bitter sweet. Without some sorrow how would we ever know the sweetness of joy?

4 comments:

Ashley Nay said...

This is my Fav blog!!!!! Oh my goodness, This is totally how i feel. Bitter Sweet. Thats what life is . I LOVE LOVE LOVE This Blog.

Marci Day said...

I absolutley agree! And more and more lately I miss having time alone. It is a blessing, though sometimes it's hard to feel that way when we feel lonely.

Glory Revealed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glory Revealed said...

Hey Casey! That is so true. I love times alone. There are so many things that God can teach us when we don't have distractions all around us. Some of my most dramatic times with God have been when I am alone and simply enjoying His creation. I love to go on walks with God. But, it is bittersweet. Someimes being alone makes you appreciate the people that God has placed in your life to enjoy relationship with. Those times alone make me really appreciate any amount of time that I have to simply sit and talk with friends or family.