Sep 19, 2007

Classical Beauty

When I was young I would sit and listen to classical music for hours. I would close my eyes as I lay on my bed and imagine something magical, mysterious…ethereal. The music would dance inside my soul and make my mind wander to distant lands, places and people. I had a friend who thought it was so odd that I would listen to classical music when most kids our age were bopping their heads to New Kids on the Block and Michael Jackson. (Am I dating myself here?) But when she came over and I cranked up the classical tunes she soon began to fall helplessly under its spell. So, then both of us would lay flat on our backs, eyes closed, and imagine wonderful adventures, peaceful gardens and ancient lands.

Now that I’m a little bit older I still get sucked into the music that makes my imagination soar. I sit here and peer out the window into the lush greenness of Oregon and soak in Bach. Life can’t get much better than this. The melody, the notes, the passion behind the music makes me believe the one who wrote it truly knew how to live. It makes me think he understood the importance of each moment. It makes me believe he didn’t rush through life, running here and there but soaked in each minute with gratitude. I close my eyes and let the music absorb into my skin. Heavenly.

1 comment:

Cassie T. said...

Yeah, Bach's pretty cool, I guess, but I'm more of a Romantic period girl myself. Give me some Dvorak, Liszt, Mendelssohn!! That's what I'm talkin' about!